[Image-SIG] IPTC write support in PIL, someone working on that?

Stefan Bethge stefan at musicpictures.com
Fri Jun 13 19:08:09 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

If I have not overlooked something, PIL still only reads iptc
data from jpeg files. Since we use PIL for a number of things for
musicpictures.com and since writing iptc data would be a nice thing to
have we thought of adding it. This means that methods like Image.save
could automatically add metadata again so the user doesn't have to
worry. I'm not sure if that is the right way to do it, but I guess the
JpegImagePlugin would use the IptcImagePlugin which will get a new save
method. Then when opening an image with metadata, it will be added to
the image object and saved with the image data on save.
Maybe someone can tell me if that's the alright or what is a better
way to do it.

Thanks,

Stefan
Musicpictures Ltd.