[Image-SIG] PIL on intel based Mac not compiling

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 11 20:03:26 CEST 2008

Pietro Speroni di Fenizio wrote:
> I am producing some data with matplot lib, and showing it with
> tkinter. All this is ok for the text data. But I am having
> difficulties with the images:
> tkinter takes only gif,
> matplotlib stores in various formats (png, jpg, eps,...), but gif is
> not one of them.

If you are trying to put a MPL plot in a TK app, Matplotlib can do that
directly -- no need to go through files, GIF or otherwise.

Also, I'm not a TK user, but it seems very odd that GIF is the only
format it understands -- with the patent issues around it, I"d think it
would be the last choice for a single format.

All that being said, if you want PIL on OS_X, get it here:

http://www.pythonmac.org/packages/

(I thought that package was going to go up on the PIL download site, but
I guess not yet)

I suppose this is a good reminder to re-invigorate my effort to write a
script to build PIL binaries on OS-X...

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov