[Image-SIG] PIL on intel based Mac not compiling

Pietro Speroni di Fenizio 2008 at pietrosperoni.it
Wed Jun 11 12:33:50 CEST 2008

Hello,
my name is Pietro Speroni and I am a postdoc at Dublin City
University. Working on making a program to study the evolution of
bitstrings.

My computer is a  Mac Book Air, Intel, Leopard.

I am producing some data with matplot lib, and showing it with
tkinter. All this is ok for the text data. But I am having
difficulties with the images:
tkinter takes only gif,
matplotlib stores in various formats (png, jpg, eps,...), but gif is
not one of them.

Everywhere I look I always find references to the PIL as the library I
should use. But the PIL is not part of python release. And more it is
only available for windows. For Mac OSX (and Linux, Unix,...) we are
givent the source files.

After installing the XCode I finally managed to have gcc in the Mac.
And as I tried to install the PIL I received the answer that:

gcc -arch i386 -arch ppc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -g
-bundle -undefined dynamic_lookup
build/temp.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5/_imagingft.o -L/sw/lib
-L/usr/local/lib
-L/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib -L/usr/lib
-lfreetype -o build/lib.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5/_imagingft.so
ld: in /sw/lib/libiconv.2.dylib, file is not of required architecture
for architecture i386
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
lipo: can't open input file:
/var/folders/NO/NOLXufVKFVKFoItorBKaUE+++TI/-Tmp-//ccc9vVQJ.out (No
such file or directory)

So, now what?

It sounds like the source code are not going to work for intel based Macs.

Is there any way in which I can have the PIL installed on the Leopard?

Will there be a future Python release with PIL as a standard module?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Pietro