[Image-SIG] Anyway to keep ICC profiles intact (e.g. sRGB)?

Frédéric frederic.mantegazza at gbiloba.org
Wed Jun 4 16:34:18 CEST 2008

Le 4/6/2008, "Eric Clack" <eric at bright-interactive.com> a écrit:

> My knowledge is very limited when it comes to colour profiles, so I might be
> describing something that is impossible here, but isn't the colour profile
> information just a tag, or piece of metadata that I could copy from image to
> image?

In most cases, the profile is embedded. I don't now exactly where, but
the current PIL version (1.1.6) does not read/write it. It is not stored
in the EXIF table.

If the profile is not embedded, the image is maybe just tagged (in the
EXIF table), but currently, only sRGB as a standard definition there
(even if more and more programs use AdobeRGB1998 too, it is not yet a
standard).

If you want to copy/paste profiles, use exiftool:

$ exiftool -icc_profile -b -o profile.dat <image1>
$ exiftool -icc_profile\<=profile.dat <image2>

Also note that not all image format can embedded a profile (jpeg, tiff
and pdf can).