[Image-SIG] PIL 1.1.6 (OSX Leopard and Windows XP) Image.rotate causes very pixelated results

Andrew Ingram andy at andrewingram.net
Fri Jul 25 00:44:38 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to get a website to dynamically serve transformed versions of
uploaded images, initially rotations but also perspective transforms and
decal overlays.

I'm using PIL and I'm loading images files in, the mode of the images is
RGB.

The problem is that when I try to rotate the images the result is highly
pixelated regardless of the resample option I pass:

m2 = im.rotate(15,resample=Image.NEAREST,expand=1)

gives (visibly) identical results to

m2 = im.rotate(15,resample=Image.BILINEAR,expand=1)

or

m2 = im.rotate(15,resample=Image.BICUBIC,expand=1)

What I am hoping for the same nature of rotations you might see if using
photoshop. I appreciate photoshop probably employs some patented
algorithms but i'd expect to get a result that's somewhat smooth and
non-jaggy at the very least.

Am I doing something completely wrong, is PIL capable of what I want or
should I be using something else with python for this kind of image work?

Regards,
Andrew Ingram