[Image-SIG] [image-sig] controlling brightness of the image

Stani spe.stani.be at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 00:15:44 CET 2008

Sorry, I looked to quickly to your code. Your mistake is that you are mixin images and enhancers. For clarity I marked every image object with the suffix '_im':

import Image
import ImageFilter
import ImageEnhance

file2 = "xyz.jpg"
im = Image.open(file2)
enhancer = ImageEnhance.Brightness(im)
bright_im = enhancer.enhance(0.5) #any value you want
sharp_im = bright_im.filter(ImageFilter.SHARPEN)
sharp_im.save("xyz1.jpg",quality=100)

>From the documentation:

All enhancement classes implement a common interface, containing a single method:

enhancer.enhance(factor) => image

Returns an enhanced image. The factor is a floating point value controlling the enhancement. Factor 1.0 always returns a copy of the original image, lower factors mean less color (brightness, contrast, etc), and higher values more. There are no restrictions on this value.

http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/imageenhance.htm

Varsha purohit schreef:
> Hi Stani,
>      But i have enhanced the image with variable name ench1. So will the
> image be effected ??
>
> thanks,
>
> On Jan 11, 2008 2:16 PM, Stani <spe.stani.be at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> You have to save the image, so replace your last line with:
>> img2.save("xyz1.jpg",quality=100)
>>
>> Stani
>>
>> Varsha purohit schreef:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>        I have written a program using ImageEnhance module of pil where i
>>>
>> am
>>
>>> controlling brightness and contrast of the image but i  am unable to use
>>> im.save method to save the file. My code is here :
>>>
>>> import Image
>>> import ImageFilter
>>> import ImageEnhance
>>>
>>> file2 = "xyz.jpg"
>>> img2 = Image.open(file2)
>>> ench = ImageEnhance.Brightness(img2)
>>> ench1 = ench.filter(ImageFilter.SHARPEN)