[Image-SIG] Array to Image transformations

Joao S. O. Bueno gwidion at mpc.com.br
Tue Feb 26 14:21:11 CET 2008

On Thu 21 Feb 2008 05:47:22 Sahar Vilan wrote:
> Can anyone help me with transformation from numpy array to image (at PIL
> library)?
> I want to change an array (at numpy) into an image (at Image) in order to
> rotate the image and save it in standard image format.
>
> Tahnks,
> Sahar Vilan

Hi...

Sorry for the long delay.
These convertions in python among data and image representation indeed require
some experimentation.

(In my todo list, wiht low priority, I have a python module that would
seamlessly translate image data across various image handling
bindings/ibraries and numerical types).

Fortunatey, in this case it is rather simple:

For numpy.array -> python image, you do something like:

a = numpy.array ("\x0"  (WIDTH  * HEIGHT  * 3), "B")
#code to create imag data inside array
# (...)
i  = Image.new("RGB", (WIDTH, HEIGHT))

i.fromstring(a.tostring())