[Image-SIG] library for image processing in 3D

derobill Q. derobill at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 21 15:17:37 CET 2008

Dear All,

I am a newby in Python and image processing programming environment in general. I don t know if this is the right mailing list for it. I would like to ask your advices to set up a good python environment for  image processing on 3D data image (from microscopy).

This project concerns 3D segmentation which need algorithms to filter the 3d data image (like 3D median filter or anisotropic diffusion filter),  to slice the 3d volume in all the direction (cut plan). Maybe growing algorithms late in the project. A scriptible visualization tool or library where I can see the 3D data and the result of the segmentation which is a meta-data (.VRML format typically). I checked for Mayavi2, but I get some problem to install it on windows with the enthought eggs.

    Our data image format is typically .raw or .mrc. Are library already available to import those?

    Thanks for any impulse which could help me to see clearer in what is already available and what to do.

Quentin