[Image-SIG] Addition to PIL FAQ

Aubrey Barnard afbarnard at wisc.edu
Mon Dec 15 01:55:42 CET 2008

Dear PIL developers of the image SIG,

I have an addition that I would like to make to the PIL FAQ (located at
http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/faq.htm). I would like to add the
following information to the answer to "Why does PIL say 'The _imaging C
module is not installed'?"

I saw this problem because I was using PIL with a different version of
Python than was used to compile PIL. So the tip to add is that PIL must
be compiled and used with the same Python.

While this requirement might seem obvious, it can be obscured on
machines with multiple versions of Python when a user requests a
particular Python that is not the first one found via the path. (E.g.
PIL will be built with the default Python, but the user will try to use
it with a different Python.)

Thank you for considering adding this to the FAQ. I think it will save
PIL users such as myself many headaches.

Sincerely,

Aubrey Barnard