[Image-SIG] PIL 1.1.6 and convert cmyk jpegs to rgb and writing png files

Michael van Tellingen michaelvantellingen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 17:34:50 CET 2008

Hello,

I'm currently writing a webapplication which processes images uploaded
by users and i'm running into two problems:
 - Converting a CMYK jpeg image to RGB results in the wrong colors
used, i've solved this by patching PIL with the
   file attached to
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/2006-April/003871.html

 - It seems that writing a PNG image requires the GIL. I convert all
uploaded images in a separate thread to PNG
   images and while doing so my complete python application becomes
really slow, I don't have this problem when
   I convert it to JPEG or TIFF. Is this correct? And if so, how hard
would it be to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Michael van Tellingen