[Image-SIG] PNG transparency not recognized

Wed Aug 13 11:50:43 CEST 2008

Hi all,
extensive googling didn't help, so here I go. I produce PNG files with lot's of transparency. These are run through various PNG optimizers (pngnq, pngcrush).

When I try to open them, they are im.mode='RGB', ie all the transparency is gone. This is the same in PIL 1.1.5 and 1.1.6.

Example PNG here: http://sspaeth.de/pyblosxom/caption_6_33_22.png
Try to open that in Gimp and you'll see the transparent background. Open in PIL and there's no transparency. Or have I overlooked something?

Thanks in advance,
spaetz