[Image-SIG] Multi-threading and PIL

Kristofor Amundson kta719 at mail.usask.ca
Wed Aug 6 17:45:36 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am writing a Python script that is performing lots of pixel-based
image comparisons and I'm using PIL's PixelAccess object to do this. In
order to improve my performance I've attempted to multi-thread the
pixel access using Python's threading module.

My problem is that I see little to no improvement in my performance
with the threading, even when I process the images on a machine with 8
CPU's. In fact, it only seems to utilize one CPU. Is this due to the
GIL? I am wondering if there is a way for me to properly thread this to
improve my performance.

Thank you very much.

Kristofor Amundson