[Image-SIG] Reading and writing AVI files using PIL

robert.parker at anu.edu.au robert.parker at anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 22 04:23:29 CEST 2008

I've been having compatibility problems reading avi files on various
platforms and decided it would be nice to have a "pure" python reader.
After looking through the image-sig PIL archives (back to May 2005) the
only candidates I found were pymedia by Fabrice Bellard and pyvideo by
Riccardo Trocca. While both are more advanced than my final result,
neither fill the pure python requirment.
My attempts can be found at:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~rekrap/microde/python_avi_1_0/avi_for_python.html
Hopefully it will be of use for those wishing to analyse avi frames - it
is too slow for playback at any sort of reasonable frame rate.  Also it
only handles uncompressed frames but I have included plugin connections to
allow for decompression.  It works well with the PIL modules.
Comments and improvements are welcome.
Cheers
Robert Parker