[Image-SIG] help me to contribute -- writing multi-page TIFF ....

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Mon Apr 14 11:40:32 CEST 2008

Hi,
Since TIFF seems to be the most wanted format in our group (microscopy
images) I now want to add write support for multi-page tiff image.

I was wondering if people here could give me some hints and / or
references on how to go about this ?

Of course if someone knows about existing code to write multi-page
tiff in Python -- please speak up now ;-)  (( wxPython maybe ?))

Since multi-page tiffs, called image-sequences in PIL, can be read by
PIL I thought, it should be quite informative to set
Image.DEBUG = 1
and open some simple tif sequence file.  Right ?

Is it important if the "Image File Directory" (IFD) is in front or
after each page !?
Is a multi-page tif just a sequence of "normal" (i.e. single page)
tiff IFD-imageData-pairs with an adjusted IFD entry for "next IFD"  !?

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase