[Image-SIG] PIL builds for Mac OS X

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Apr 10 18:30:25 CEST 2008

> > Sure it is.  Just two packages, one for Intel, and one for PPC, and a
> > preinstall script that selects the right one.
>
> who's writing that pre-install script? I've NEVER seen one. Ever. Then

I'd be willing to take a stab at it, if I had the various (non-flat)
installers for the pieces.

> ... if a package like PIL is going to distributing binaries,
> they should be as widely usable as possible, and I'm betting that
> Fredrik doesn't want to post 6 versions of PIL 1.6. for OS-X
>
> These are all the reasons I advocate MacPython2.5 -- it works on every
> OS-X from 10.3.* to 10.5, PPC and Intel, and you can build
> re-distributable apps with it.

My problem with this approach is that it optimizes for the wrong
audience -- it's for the developers, not for the users.  The users
really want to just install some package and get on with it -- they
don't want to first pre-customize their machine for the developer's
convenience by downloading MacPython and installing it.  Yep, thanks
to various factors, Fredrik needs a big installer for OS X, but I'm
not convinced it's not doable as a single download.

Bill