[Image-SIG] im.show does not show, and Tkinter isn't displaying my jpg image

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Apr 6 23:54:08 CEST 2008

Rodrigo Dias Arruda Senra wrote:

> By the way, I'd like to suggest a solution similar to webbrowser in
> python's stdlib. We could encapsulate in a module tests for the
> availability of several image viewers, and im.show() could fallback to
> what was available (or configured) for the current platform.

good idea.  I've posted a draft version of such a module here:

     http://svn.effbot.org/public/stuff/sandbox/pil/ImageShow.py

to try it out, just grab the script and run it with an image file as the
argument.  it takes an image title as an optional second argument.

I've briefly tested this on windows and ubuntu; tweaks and feedback for
other platforms are welcome.