[Image-SIG] freetype installation questions

Scott Frankel leknarf at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 23 22:57:23 CEST 2007

Hi,

I'm attempting to build PIL on a MacOSX box and python setup.py is
failing on freetype2.

I installed Fink on this machine in order to get freetype2 and the
jpeg libraries.  My understanding of Fink and its use is only a
couple hours old.  ;)

In PIL's set.py script, I've tried setting the FREETYPE var to
explicitly point to the fink lib install.  eg:

	FREETYPE_ROOT = "/sw/lib/"
and
	FREETYPE_ROOT = "/sw/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib"

Is this correct?  (libfreetype.6.dylib exists at that location and is
read/writable.)  Fink also installed:

	/sw/lib/freetype2/lib/
		libfreetype.a
		libfreetype.la

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on getting PIL to build properly.
Scott

PIL v1.1.6
Python v2.4.1
MacOSX v10.4.9
Fink v0.8.1

[ cmd-line ]
% python setup.py build_ext -i

[ yields ]
PIL 1.1.6 BUILD SUMMARY
version       1.1.6
platform      darwin 2.4.1 (#2, Mar 31 2005, 00:05:10)
               [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)]
--- TKINTER support ok
--- JPEG support ok
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
*** FREETYPE2 support not available