[Image-SIG] PIL scale attributes to fit 250x250 max

Norman Khine norman at khine.net
Thu Oct 11 10:35:25 CEST 2007

Hello,
Please excuse me, I am new to PIL, and was wondering which is the best
method to do the following.

I have an application where users upload an image, at the moment if the
image is over a certain size, it returns with an error asking the user
to correct this.

I would like for my application to make the necessary adjustments to the
image, but am unsure as to how to handle the portrait vs landscape image
resizing.

The image box, for example is 250x250.
  So from the example on
http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/image.htm I will have
something like:

from PIL import Image
import glob, os

size = 250, 250

for infile in glob.glob("*.jpg"):
     file, ext = os.path.splitext(infile)
     im = Image.open(infile)
     im.thumbnail(size, Image.ANTIALIAS)
     im.save(file + ".thumbnail", "JPEG")

But this creates a 250x250 thumbnail, whereas I would like if the image
is say 500x635 in size to reduce this to 196x250 and the same for my
portrait image if this is 625x500 to reduce this to 250x196

Thanks

--
Norman

%>>> "".join( [ {'*':'@','^':'.'}.get(c,None) or chr(97+(ord(c)-83)%26)