[Image-SIG] Handling "image file is not of type 17" errors...

Alec Bennett whatyoulookin at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 03:36:39 CET 2007

Running PIL 1.1.6 with Python 2.4 on Windows XP I
occasoinally get an error "Image file is not of type
17". Unfortunately this error doesn't throw an
exception, instead it pops up a modular dialog box
that completely halts my program.

I know (or think) its caused by a thread conflict, one
thread accessing the image before the other one has
finished writing it, and I hate to admit this, but in
this case I'd rather fix the error handling than the
problem itself.

I've grepped the PIL files for any mention of this
error and can't find it. I don't imagine anyone knows
what file is throwing this error? Or otherwise how to
disable it?

Thanks for any help.