[Image-SIG] Antialiased text on transparent image fails?

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Tue Nov 20 18:59:49 CET 2007

  Hi Coen,

I'm sorry for the late answer.  I was out of the country.

> Isn't this the way it should work? The alpha value of a pixel is
> treated the same way as any other channel. When a pixel is half
> covered by a shape, PIL wil draw 50% of the foreground and 50% of the
> background. In your case: a green shape 0, 255, 0, 255 (rgba) and
> background 255, 0, 0, 0. If you take the average of the two you come
> up with R=128 in the pixel and will be visible for 50% A=128. Isn't
> this the desired effect?
Not desired for me. When you put a transparent image I1 on another image
I2, then you should see what you would see from I2, plus what you would
see from I2 that is under I1. Let me tell you an example. Let's have two
pieces of glass, G1 and G2.

G1 is:  (0,255,0,128), representing a material that is, when you put
white light on it:

    a.) 50% the red component is absorbed, 50% goes through
    b.) 50% is reflected, 50% goes through
    c.) 50% the blue component is absorbed, 50% goes through

G2 is:  (255,0,0,2), representing an almost clear, fully transparent
glass, when you put white light on it:

    a.) a very few of the red component is reflected, the remaining goes
through
    b.) a very few of the green component is absorbed, the remaining
goes through
    c.) a very few of the blue component is absorbed, the remaining goes
through

Maybe my interpretation is bad, but this is how I think it is - the
alpha channel gives transparency, the other channels tells us how many
of the remaining light is reflected vs. absorbed. 255 means full
reflect, whereas 0 means full absorption.

Now what happens if you put a piece of G1 on top of G2, put a white lamp
(255,255,255) over it and examine the result? How much red you will see
in it? Will it be (128,128,0) or (1,128,0)? Of course, the later.

There are other scenarios: you can put the lamp behind it, you can let
them shine etc. Any scenario you choose, you will not see too much red
in it because there is nothing in G1 or G2 that could reflect or let
throught much more red then green or blue.

Maybe I'm wrong and I have misinterpreted the meaning of the alpha
channel. In that case I wonder what it means?

And finally, I'm still interested in the good method, e.g. how can I
achieve the same effect with PIL, effectively? I'm asking this because
all of the methods in PIL will take the average of the two alpha
channels, and this is bad for me. Calculating pixels values one by one
would work but it is not effective.

Thanks,

   Laszlo

p.s.: I do not like top posting, but once you started with it, I did not
want to "mid post". :-)