[Image-SIG] PIL Jpeg resizing in windows

Neil Johnson realdealneil at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 21:34:45 CEST 2007

I am new to using PIL and trying to find out how to resize JPEG images.  I
try to resize, and I always get a "pixel access" error using the thumbnail,
resize, or load functions.  Do I need to build the PIL from source in order
to have JPEG resizing capability?  Here is a sample block of code with error
message:

## Try to resize jpegs using PIL:
from PIL import Image
import glob, os

infile = "image1.JPG"
PicMaxHeight = 128
im = Image.open(infile)
im.load()
file, ext = os.path.splitext(infile)
ActualSize = im.size
heightScale = ActualSize[1]/PicMaxHeight
scaleFactor = heightScale
newSize = ActualSize[0]/scaleFactor, ActualSize[1]/scaleFactor

## Now let's try resizing...cross your fingers!
im.resize(newSize)
im.save(file + "_thumb", "JPEG")

The error message is:

In [195]: run jpgResize.py
exceptions.AttributeError                            Traceback (most recent
 last)

C:\Python24\neil\Directory\jpgResize.py
     13
     14 ## Now let's try resizing...cross your fingers!
---> 15 im.resize(newSize)
     16 im.save(file + "_thumb", "JPEG")
     17

C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\PIL\Image.py in resize(self, size, resample)
   1254             raise ValueError("unknown resampling filter")
   1255
-> 1256         self.load()
   1257
   1258         if self.mode in ("1", "P"):

C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\PIL\ImageFile.py in load(self)
    215         self.load_end()
    216
--> 217         return Image.Image.load(self)
    218
    219     def load_prepare(self):

C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\PIL\Image.py in load(self)
    597                 self.palette.mode = "RGBA"
    598         if self.im:
--> 599             return self.im.pixel_access(self.readonly)
    600
    601     ##

AttributeError: pixel_access
WARNING: Failure executing file: <jpgResize.py>

Thanks,

Neil Johnson