[Image-SIG] video capture

Ken Seehart ken at seehart.com
Thu Jan 25 22:55:10 CET 2007

Nicolas Pinault wrote:
> Sebastian Haase a écrit :
>
>> Do you know about
>> VideoCapture
>>   A Win32 Python Extension for Accessing Video Devices (e.g. a USB
>> WebCam, a TV-Card, ...)
>>    by Markus Gritsch (gritsch at iue.tuwien.ac.at)
>>
>> -Sebastian Haase
>>

> Video capture does not capture streams. Videocapture only grabs single
> frames. It is usefull for webcam for example where the app grabs a
> picture every minute or every second or whatever you want. You can also
> grabs picture at a higher rate than the video stream, doubling or
> tripling source frames.
>
> Nicolas

I'm not sure I understand the distinction.  For example, if I pipeline a
series of camera images
at the desired frame rate into a component that converts a sequences of
frames into a video
stream, then I achieve the desired result right?

I imagine that the video streaming component would surely be very
portable, but the video
capture would tend to be O/S and hardware specific.

Maybe what the world needs is a set of webcam drivers wrapped up into a
single platform-
independent PIL compatible python module, that could then be wrapped
into a Kamelia
component.  Anyone else interested in such a project?  I can't believe
such a thing doesn't
already exist.

- Ken