[Image-SIG] TrueType fonts under PIL

goat at tirfa.com goat at tirfa.com
Thu Feb 15 01:21:33 CET 2007

I think that I figured out why things didn't look like I wanted.

I am writing text on a template gif image and wasn't converting it to
a RGB image. In order to get the text to show up, I was changing the
image's palette to include black (rgb(0,0,0)) and then using that new
palette color to write text on the image. Since the truetype fonts
seem to be rendered in greyscale rather than monochrome, anything that
wasn't pure black wouldn't show up on the final image.

When I work with RGB bmp files, everything looks wonderful but looks
horrible when I re-encode the bmp to gif.

So the moral of the story seems to be: be careful about writing
truetype text in monochrome.

Tim