[Image-SIG] Comparison of PIL and GD speed for setting pixels through python

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 2 21:30:56 CET 2007

John Barratt wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I've had a need to do some optimisation of some low level pixel setting
> code, and have as such done some tests of different ways of doing this
> using PIL and alternatively with gd via ctypes.

Have you tried using PIL + numpy -- you can convert a PIL image (some
eof them, anyway) to a numpy array, and manipulate it there. Numpy
provides a number if efficient ways to do such manipulations.

In the most recent PIL, you should be able to convert to/from PIL/numpy
without any copying of the data, though I don't think it's been heavily
tested.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov