[Image-SIG] PIL ImageFont segfault mystery

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 09:24:31 CET 2007

Fredrik,
 I dropped off the Internet (I have a fragile ISP :( ) and did not get your
mail until a moment ago. Thanks for looking at this.

 I am not at all informed about how patches get used and, more importantly,
how they make their way into the final repos used by distros. Is there any
way to get _imagingft.c fixed so that old users worldwide get an update, or
will this fix only come out in new versions of PIL from this point on?

 I ask because I am facing a choice of 1) just waiting and using my short time
to code my app then relying on the fix being "out there", or 2) Trying to
grok and compile PIL and then house it in a sub-directory of my app and
distribute it as a "module" within my app.

Thanks for the help!
\d

PS: Not to muddy the waters, but PIL is the only effective FT2 interface for
Python and I was wondering if it would be possible to expose more meta
information about fonts than family and style? There are other snippets of
info in there like number of faces, copyright, foundry and so forth. Would it
be possible to add these too?