[Image-SIG] seeking guidance on image conversion

Waldemar Osuch waldemar.osuch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 00:40:49 CEST 2007

> * One of the Python scripts is calling Linux tiffsplit command to
> convert multipage faxes (TIFF group 4 compressed) into collections of
> single page TIFFs.

pytiff library should be able to do it
(http://www.haynold.com/software_projects/2004/pytiff/)
I have used it on small scale for the same purpose.

> * The wxPython app is calling GnuWin32's tiffcp.exe to rejoin single
> page TIFFs into multipage TIFFs.

pytiff again.

> * We're calling the ImageMagick convert command to make PDFs into TIFFs.

Alternatively one could use Ghostscript for the purpose.  They provide
even a shared library that could be driven using ctypes.

> * We're calling an Open Office 1.1.5 command line tool to convert
> Word documents to PDF (which then get converted to TIFF by
> ImageMagick).

If windows machine has PDFCreator installed
(http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator) one could use Python COM
to drive Word and print directly into PDF format.

Waldemar