[Image-SIG] frombuffer defaults to flip of fromstring?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Oct 7 11:12:27 CEST 2006

> Dan Torop wrote:
>
>> I was curious whether there was a bug in the default behavior of
>> Image.frombuffer().
>
> sure looks like a bug.
>
>      http://effbot.python-hosting.com/ticket/54

This is a stupid bug (*), but I'm not sure if I can just fix this
without breaking deployed code.

My current idea is to 1) issue a warning if "frombuffer" is called with
default arguments, and 2) fix the documentation to mention the bug and
how to work around it in a backward- *and* forward-compatible way.
Opinions?

</F>

*) PIL's extended test suite does careful tests on "frombuffer",
comparing the output to that of "fromstring", but I clearly forgot
to include the default argument case in those test :-(