[Image-SIG] im.show() error

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris gwidion at mpc.com.br
Mon Nov 13 04:23:23 CET 2006

On Monday 13 November 2006 07:45 pm, Steve Kacenjar wrote:
> I have just installed the Python Imaging Library (PIL) on my fedora
> core 5 LINUX system and began going through he tutorial in loading
> and displaying an image.  I tried to specifically bring up a jpg
> image and received the following error with the command im.show():
>
> sh: xv: command not found
>
> Any suggestions how to address this error would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Steve
>
> PS. before this step I:
>
> (1) import Image
> (2) im = Image.open('cluster.jpg')

The problem is that the utility "xv" is hardcoded into the PIL code as
the default application to open to show up an image. XV has licensing
problems and is not included in most GNU/Linux distributions. But all
you have to do is to have any application named  "xv" that accepts an
image name on the command line and displays that image. I usually
just create a symbolic link of xv to the kde kuickshow program - buyt
many others would do.

	js
	-><-