[Image-SIG] libjpeg and pil on intel mac os x

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed May 31 22:42:10 CEST 2006

Josh Stephenson wrote:
> As was mentioned in my original posting, runnig python setup.py
> build_ext -i says JPEG support ok.  That's after I point the setup.py
> file to the location I installed the jpeg libraries and includes to
> (using the ./configure options '--includepath= and --libpath=').....it's
> the python selftest.py that throws: "IOError: decoder jpeg not available".

if you run "build_ext -i", the _imaging module is installed in the
current directory.  if you run python in that directory, and "import
_imaging" picks up a copy from /usr/local, something's not quite right
with your Python path.

(there's no way you can get both "jpeg support ok" and "decoder jpeg not
available" for the same build.)

I suggest moving the version under /usr/local off the Python path before
rerunning the selftest.