[Image-SIG] PIL error: IOError: decoder jpeg not available

Niurka Perez perez.niurka at gmail.com
Fri May 19 20:27:28 CEST 2006

We have used PIL since over a year now in our windows XP desktops,
with no problem at all. The only functionality we use is the one
related to thumbnail creation.

Now we are making a deploy of the whole system we develop to a
different operating system.. with the following configuration:
Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-54
Python 2.4.3
PIL 1.1.5

The same combination of python and PIL versions works great in
windows, but when we moved to Linux RedHat, we keep getting the error
"decoder jpeg not available". We went through all the README file that
comes with PIL and we make sure libjpeg6b was installed, as well as
the zlib.

When PIL is installed it says:
*** TKINTER support not available
--- JPEG support ok
--- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
*** FREETYPE2 support not available

But a second after PIL installation, we run selftest.py and it keeps
saying the error "decoder jpeg not available". As a result, when we
test our program, for gif, bmp and tif files the create thumbnails
perfectly; for jpg and png we can´t.

Any help will be extremmely appreciated.... We've been dealing with
this problem for quite a while now...

Best Regards,
Niurka