[Image-SIG] Python/HP-UX problem...

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu May 11 10:56:57 CEST 2006

Oluf Iversen wrote:

> I am trying to install Python Imaging Library on a HP-UX PA-RISC box
> running HP-UX 11.11 and I have great difficulties with the installation.
> Please find attacments and explanations in the following mails.
>
> I hope you are able to helt me out with this

the original

> _imaging.c:65:20: error: Python.h: No such file or directory

errors you got means that Python was installed without development files (at least
without the headers), or that the development files were installed somewhere else.

the

> /opt/iexpress/python/include/python2.4/pyport.h:116:24: error:
> sys/select.h: No such file or directory

indicates that the Python developer files you found was generated for an incompatible
version of HP-UX, or that you're missing some HP-UX-specific developer kit.

(sys/select.h is a standard Unix header file, btw; if you don't have it, you don't have a
real Unix ;-).  or more likely, your compiler setup is botched, in some unknown way).

have you built other Python extensions on this machine ?  or any non-trivial C programs
at all, for that matter ?

if you've successfully built other C stuff, it could be worth building Python itself from
source code  (you can get source tarballs from python.org), and use that to build PIL.

cheers /F