[Image-SIG] multithreading problem

michael gross mich at anorg.net
Wed Mar 29 14:56:40 CEST 2006

hallo

ok I have put a little program together which uses pil and opengl. the
main program is showing a texture which is moving across the screen. in a
second thread it is calculating a blur filter on a random image. this
calculation starts after 1500 pygame ticks. on my machine I can see
clearly that during the calculation the moving texture stopps for a while.
I am wondering if this is because the gil is not released when culculating
such a blur effect.
similar things seem to happen when I use split and merge or funcitons like
s[0].paste(s[0].point(lambda i: i * self.r)) in the background thread.

thanks a lot for any help

best michael