[Image-SIG] TIFF endian issue

Richard Madden Richard.Madden at USherbrooke.ca
Tue Mar 21 21:41:27 CET 2006

Hi all,

   Is there any way to search past image-sig postings? Maybe this has
already been answered. I've been sent a big endian 16-bit gray scale
tiff image and PIL has no problem dealing with it except for the
endianess. I won't go into details since this has been clearly posted
before by Zachary Pincus in the Dec 2003 archives but I can't find any
follow ups. He also describes a nice workaround of getting the image via
a tostring, then rebuilding it with a fromstring and the correct mode.
He also points out that the plugin does know that it is big endian from
the prefix - but somehow it just fails to take the correct action.
Someplace. I've been looking around but the plumbing is pretty
confusing...

Ciao, Dick

--
Dick Madden                         Home: 1180 rue Walton #1
Bioinformatics Coordinator                Sherbrooke, QC, Canada J1H 1L1