[Image-SIG] _imaging extension was built for another version ofPython

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Mar 12 16:11:25 CET 2006

"CodeBase" <codebase at web.de> wrote:

> When I try to run some of the PIL utilities, I get an error
> "Image.py:64: RuntimeWarning: The _imaging extension was built for
> another version of Python; most PIL functions will be disabled"
>
> The Python version that comes bundled with Open Office 2.0.1 is 2.3.4,
> so I downloaded PIL 1.1.5 for Python 2.3 from
> http://effbot.org/downloads/PIL-1.1.5.win32-py2.3.exe
> and installed it. As it didn't find the Python installation by itself, I
> had to register it myself with the register script from
> http://effbot.org/zone/python-register.htm
>
> What am I doing wrong ??

the error message means exactly what it says, so it sure looks as
if Python's picking up some _imaging.pyd file that doesn't match the
Python interpreter you're using.

have you verified that you don't have some old _imaging file lying
around somewhere ?

another possibility is that the bundled version is built in some non-
standard way, so that external extensions won't work.  it might be
a good idea to search the OO forums for clues...