[Image-SIG] Combining PIL and Boost.Python

Jurjen Westra jwestra at ics.ele.tue.nl
Thu Mar 2 18:35:09 CET 2006

Hi all,

I am working on a system that has already a lot of functionality
exported with Boost.Python. I want to add PIL to the system. I am
wondering how to do the following.

In short: I want to create a totally independent library with PIL
extensions. This library should be exported with Boost.

I want to be able to extend PIL in my own module without touching the
source code of PIL. I have played a bit already, and the way I do it now
involves editing Imaging.h, _imaging.c and Image.py (and setup.py).

Starting from a C/C++ function, e.g.

Imaging myPILExtension(Imaging img1, Imaging img2, MyClass mc)

I could export it using Boost, but how can I make sure my Boost wrapper
around Imaging is considered the same as a python Image as it is now?

If anybody has experience with this, please share it.

I don't have much experience with exporting, so any help is very welcome!

Thanks!

Jurjen