[Image-SIG] PIL-1.1.5 jpeg decoder

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Jun 22 20:40:57 CEST 2006

Scott Nelson wrote:
> I'm installing Imaging-1.1.5 on rhel 4.3.   selftest.py fails bcs "decoder
> jpeg not available". I have tried going through the steps on Fredrik Lundh's
> zone.effbot.org page for "decoder jpeg not available" at
> http://effbot.org/zone/pil-decoder-jpeg-not-available.htm.  The first step
> is to run ./configure in the libImaging directory. I don't have a configure
> script in there. Am I missing something?

the big blurb at the top of that page that says "This applies to PIL
1.1.4 and earlier." and goes on to explain what do for 1.1.5, perhaps ?

(do you have the jpeg library on your machine, btw?  you need both the
library and the developer files; installing the "jpeg-devel" package is
usually the easiest way to fix this.  with this in place, the setup
script should take care of the rest, all my itself.)

(you could also look for python-imaging in your favourite redhat
repository.  )