[Image-SIG] Problems with JPEG support with PIL 1.1.5 on MacOSX 10.4

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Feb 28 12:22:44 CET 2006

Andy Todd wrote:

> Back in December I wrote to the list [1] asking for help getting JPEG
> support to work with PIL on my Mac.
>
> Well I finally got it working and thought I would share my solution with
> the list for posterity's sake.
>
> Essentially because I'd installed libjpeg using fink it wasn't in any of
> the 'usual' library locations that PIL's setup.py was expecting. So
> after unpacking the PIL source distribution I edited the setup.py file,
> changing line 32 from;
>
> JPEG_ROOT = None
>
> to;
>
> JPEG_ROOT = "/sw/lib"
>
> And the usual python setup.py install worked like a dream.

footnote: the fink directories have been added to the list of known darwin
locations in PIL 1.1.6:

        elif sys.platform == "darwin":
            # attempt to make sure we pick freetype2 over other versions
            add_directory(include_dirs, "/sw/include/freetype2")
            add_directory(include_dirs, "/sw/lib/freetype2/include")
            # fink installation directories
            add_directory(library_dirs, "/sw/lib")
            add_directory(include_dirs, "/sw/include")
            # darwin ports installation directories
            add_directory(library_dirs, "/opt/local/lib")
            add_directory(include_dirs, "/opt/local/include")