[Image-SIG] ANN: PIL 1.1.6 final (december 3, 2006)

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 4 02:13:59 CET 2006

Thanks for the information, Fredrik.

>> - A week or so ago, I reported that PIL loads multi-byte (e.g. 16-
>> and 32-bit raster data) TIFF files incorrectly if the files were
>> written as big-endian. (I also and provided a test case and patch.)
>
> I noticed the post, but haven't had time to look at it; given my
> current
> schedule, it's been hard enough to get 1.1.6 out of the door (and in
> case you wonder, the 1.1.6 feature set has been frozen for quite some
> time; the last beta was basically a release candidate).

No problem. I'll try to provide a minimally-invasive patch to address
this issue (it's really simple to do -- the code just needs to pass
the correct byte order to Unpack.c, so hopefully this will count as
'low-hanging fruit').

>> - There is a buffer-overflow problem in 'struct
>> ImagingMemoryInstance'
> that's a known minor issue, and the struct is intentionally left as is
> for compatibility reasons (see the mailing list archives for details).
>    this will be fixed in 1.2, where the internal storage model.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to hear about the upcoming changes for
1.2, and would be happy to help with some of that if I can...

>> - The 'fromarray' command is a bit broken in Image.py:
> that code was contributed by the numpy developers, but it sure looks
> broken.  hmm.

I'll also try to provide a minimally-invasive patch here too.

>> - Also, the to/from array commands don't handle 16-bit images, though
>> it could be accomplished easily. I will provide a patch for this too.

Does this count as low-hanging? I'd be happy to send a patch if it
would be useful; otherwise I'll just put it into my code where it
interfaces with PIL.

> under PIL 1.2's storage model, all I;16 images will most likely always
> look like "I" images for ordinary users; if you need to get at the
> "raw"
> data, you'd need to explicitly specify that when opening/loading
> the image.

Great -- I'm looking forward to 1.2!

Thanks again,

Zach