[Image-SIG] Read EPS (bitmap and vector), TIFF and PSD on windows

Stefano Masini stefano at pragma2000.com
Thu Sep 1 15:27:59 CEST 2005

On 9/1/05, Matthew Nuzum <mattnuzum at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't found a solution that can read PSD files that correctly
> handles the layer effects created in 5.5 and newer versions of PSD
> files.

Yeah... I can see that. Adobe keeps adding stuff to its products, no
wonder people can't keep up with updating the libraries for reading
the format.
By the way, luckily for me, I could live without psd files in my
problem, or better yet, have them, but assume no layers are used...

So, is it possible to use the gimp as a simple backend? I mean, wrap
some functionality inside a pythonic api, so that I can do stuff like:
open('foo.eps').save('preview.jpeg') ?

> It's worth a try... Obviously photoshop is a resource intensive
> application, but once it's running it operates pretty quick.

I've already done it. Scripting Photoshop with COM is ugly, but
possible. The problem is that since the architecture runs on a
separate machine, I have to implement a system that exports such
functionality over sockets. Again, possible, but quite tedious,
expecially because it easily grows into something that you have to
maintain more that you would like to, given the simple need to open a
file and save it in a different format! :(
So frustrating!

stefano