[Image-SIG] Problem with PIL- libtiff.so

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Nov 23 19:05:56 CET 2005

tuvas at email.arizona.edu wrote:

>I have an error every time I try to show an image with PIL. I use a function
> something like this.
>
> pic=Image.open("test.jpg")
> pic.show()
>
> What happens is there's an error report as follows:
> xv: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory

it's easy to miss, but the error message comes from something that's
identifying itself as "xv".

the PIL documentation provides an additional clue:

    im.show()

    Displays an image. This method is mainly intended for debugging
    purposes.

    On Unix platforms, this method saves the image to a temporary
    PPM file, and calls the xv utility.

so what's happening here isn't a problem with PIL itself; it's that your
system has "xv" installed, but that your "xv" install is incomplete.

how important is "show" for your work?  if you cannot fix "xv", you
could hack the Image.py module so it uses some other display utility.