[Image-SIG] loading PIL image to pygame without the need to write atemporary image file

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat May 7 14:41:01 CEST 2005

Jelle Feringa wrote:

> My guess was that pilmage.tostring() would be quite similar to pygame's
> pygame.image.tostring(img, "RGB") function. That unfortuanately isn't the
> case.

judging from the pygame documentation, they do the exact same thing
(but with slightly different arguments).  according to the documentation,
the following should work:

    mode = image.mode
    size = image.size
    data = image.tostring()

    assert mode in "RGB", "RGBA"

    surface = pygame.image.fromstring(data, size, mode)

(and you could probably use frombuffer instead of fromstring).

> When I use the PIL function to encode to a string, the program crashes after
> a couple of frames, and works fine with the pygame string function.

it crashes and works fine?  how does it crash?  traceback?  coredump?
what crashes and what works?