[Image-SIG] Strange error - Please help !!

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Mar 30 01:12:18 CEST 2005

On Mar 29, 2005, at 5:41 PM, Ray Pasco wrote:

> (Python 2.3.4, PIL 1.1.5b1)
>
> All of a sudden, after developing with PIL yesterday, I get this error
> today:
>
>  File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\PIL\BmpImagePlugin.py", line 61,
> in ?
>    class BmpImageFile(ImageFile.ImageFile):
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'ImageFile'

Since PIL does not use a proper package, it is particularly sensitive
to the other files on your sys.path.  It's likely that you have created
or installed some other ImageFile.py that BmpImagePlugin is using
instead of the intended one from PIL.

Try this:

 >>> import ImageFile
 >>> print ImageFile.__file__

This will let you know which ImageFile is being imported.  If it is not
in the PIL directory, then that explains it.

-bob