[Image-SIG] problem installing PIL

Guido Roberto Carballo Guerrero charras at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 11 09:44:27 CEST 2005

My problem is with the selftest. This is what I get:

Guido-Roberto-Carballo-Guerreros-Computer:~/Desktop/Imaging-1.1.5
charras$ python selftest.py
Failure in example: _info(Image.open("Images/lena.jpg"))
from line #24 of selftest.testimage
Exception raised:
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./doctest.py", line 499, in _run_examples_inner
     exec compile(source, "<string>", "single") in globs
   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
   File "./selftest.py", line 21, in _info
     im.load()
   File "PIL/ImageFile.py", line 180, in load
     d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
   File "PIL/Image.py", line 328, in _getdecoder
     raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
IOError: decoder jpeg not available
1 items had failures:
    1 of  55 in selftest.testimage
***Test Failed*** 1 failures.
*** 1 tests of 55 failed.

Do you know what these means? And how can I solve the problem. 'Cause
I assume there is a problem, and that why I get the IOError. What is
this decoder, how can I find it, and installed.

Thank you for your help.

Guido Roberto Carballo Guerrero
PhD. Candidate
University of Texas at Austin
MS C2200, Mechanical Engineering
1University Station
Austin, TX 78712

Phone: 512-785-7971

It is common to consider failure as the enemy of success. And It is
not so. Failure is perhaps a cruel teacher, but unimprovable, that
drives us toward success, if we are capable of asking ourselves, "why
did I fail?" and to examine until finding the reason.

Es común considerar el fracaso como el enemigo del éxito. Y no es
así. El fracaso es quizás un maestro cruel, pero inmejorable, que nos
conduce al éxito, si es que somos capaces de preguntarnos "¿por qué
fracasé?" y de escudriñar hasta hallar la razón.

T.J. Watson

Alternative email: guido.carballo at gmail.com