[Image-SIG] Where is the indexed PNG alpha table ?

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris gwidion at mpc.com.br
Mon Jan 31 15:16:54 CET 2005

Hi,

I actually have been working in a Python plug-in for the GIMP to be
able to save indexed PNGs with more than one transp. level.

I do not use PIL at all, instead, I rely on teh GIMP to save tjhe PNG,
na dthem, open the PNG as a binary file, according to the PNG specs,
and write out the transparency info.

I do n ot recall now if there is more than a way of doing this (like
having a 4 component palette). But what my progra does is write a 256
(or less) byte separate chiunk (named "tRNS" within the png), with
transparency information for each color on the palette.

I hope this helps.

The plug-in is in 'maintanance' right now - but if anyone here need
it, I think I can fix it early next week. Ah, I shall have a working
- though slow - version somewere.

Regards,

	JS
	-><-