[Image-SIG] Re: PIL License

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Jan 26 14:02:18 CET 2005

Guillaume Proux wrote:

> It seems that my English parser is not up to the task. I saw the same sentence written in another
> license (pysqlite).
> So I now assume that the "without fee" applies to the "Permission is granted without fee".

I'd say that's a reasonable assumption:

    Permission to /.../ for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted

> Other licenses use simpler and clearer expressions.

I'm still using the original Python (pre-1.6) license, which is also used by many other
Python extensions.  in OSI terms, this is known as the "Historical Permission Notice
and Disclaimer":

    http://www.opensource.org/licenses/historical.php

(yes, this really is ancient software ;-)