[Image-SIG] Crash during make step of installing image library. HELP!!

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jan 14 21:23:33 CET 2005

On Jan 14, 2005, at 14:56, Wes Fraser wrote:

> I am having some issues installing PIL with jpeg support onto my
> machine. I am running mac os x 10.3 with python 2.3. I have the
> factory install of python and have tried it with custom installs of
> 2.3.4 with no success.
>

>  I have installed libjpeg from source and have tried it with the fink
> install and have not been able to make either work.
>

>  IFollowing the instructions on
>
>  http://plone.org/documentation-old/howto/InstallPILOnMacOSX
>
>  and after installing libjpeg with fink
>

>  In Imaging-1.1.3/libImaging do a
>
>  $LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib"; CPPFLAGS="-l/sw/lib";  ./configure
>

>  then do a
>
>  $ make
>

>  at this point I get the warning:
>
>  ranlib: file: libImaging.a(Dib.o) has no symbols
>

>  The web page says to ignore this and continue.
>

>  So I then do
>
>  cd ..
>
>  python setup.py build
>

>  and it crashes with the following error:
>

>  Tk/tkImaging.c:198: warning: passing arg 3 of `Tcl_CreateCommand'
> from incompatible pointer type
>
>  gcc -Wl,-F. -bundle -framework Python
> build/temp.darwin-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_imagingtk.o
> build/temp.darwin-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/Tk/tkImaging.o
> -LlibImaging -lImaging -o
> build/lib.darwin-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_imagingtk.so
>
>  ld: Undefined symbols:
>
>  _Tcl_AppendResult
>
>  _Tcl_CreateCommand
>
>  _Tk_FindPhoto
>
>  _Tk_PhotoBlank
>
>  _Tk_PhotoPutBlock_NoComposite
>
>  error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
>

>  Can you guys help me out at all? I have no idea why this went wrong
> but it is sure driving me nutz.

I have no idea why PIL is building against Tcl and Tk without linking
to them, but I would suggest removing _imagingtk.so, the rest of PIL
will build fine without it.  I don't have PIL source handy, so I can't
tell you precisely where to disable building of it.  Probably in a file
with "setup" in its name.

-bob