[Image-SIG] ImageFont on OSX

Christian Meesters meesters at uni-mainz.de
Wed Apr 6 13:02:36 CEST 2005

Hi

I'm using PIL 1.1.4 on OSX (still standard Python 2.3) and would like
to paste text into images. All I get is some rather small standard font
text written into my images, because calling ImageFont.load() fails,
since I cannot specify any font.
Could somebody tell me which are valid fonts and where to obtain such
font files? The passage in the handbook ("PIL uses it's own font file
format to store bitmap fonts. You can use the pilfont utility to
convert BDF and PCF font descriptors (X window font formats) to this
format. ") tells me nothing: Where to get those font descriptors? And
all I have are standard font files of Apple ('Font Suitcase').

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Christian