[Image-SIG] PIL support: scaling hires images

Jim Tittsler jwt at OnJapan.net
Sun Apr 3 03:06:22 CEST 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 03:06:06PM -0800, Ryan Galloway wrote:
> I am experiencing problems trying to scale down or create thumbnails from
> images which are high resolution, say greater than 2,048 x resolution. Is
> there a way around this?

What sort of problems?  (What format source image?)

FWIW, I'm able to scale large TIFF images without problem.  (It
does take about 15 seconds on my rather old machine.)
>>> import Image
>>> im = Image.open("/home/jwt/sat1/temp200101.tif")
>>> print im.format, im.size, im.mode
TIFF (8192, 4096) RGB
>>> im.thumbnail((128,64))
>>> im.save("temp200101.jpg", "JPEG")