[Image-SIG] PIL and multithreading - is it possible?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Fri Nov 12 16:32:16 CET 2004

Some of what you want will be in PIL 1.1.5.

http://effbot.org/zone/pil-changes-115.htm
+ Improved support for applications using multiple threads; PIL
  now releases the global interpreter lock for many CPU-intensive
  operations (based on work by Kevin Cazabon).

An image viewer that I'm playing with in my spare time has two threads:
the first is the user interface, and the second performs all image
operations.  This actually works pretty well under 1.1.5b1.

I'm not sure whether the lock is released for loading images, but it
does seem to be released for scaling operations.

Jeff