[Image-SIG] Optimizing PNGs in PIL

Mikael Olofsson mikael at isy.liu.se
Thu Nov 4 14:19:10 CET 2004

Hi!

I've been playing around with PIL for a while, and I am quite pleased so
far, but I have a small problem. I can save an image using

    im.save('c:/foo/bar/baz.png')

as the PIL Handbook at

    http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/index.htm

says, and it also states that I can give options by supplying a named
argument called options. Now to the problem. I have an RGB image that I want
to save as a PNG, and I want the file to be as small as possible. For my
particular image: If I do not supply any options, I get a file of size
125kB. If I understand the Handbook correctly, I should be able to
"instructs the PNG writer to make the output file as small as possible" by
supplying an option called optimize. I've interpreted that as

    im.save('c:/foo/bar/baz.png', options='optimize')

The resulting file is still 125kB. So, the option does not seem to make any
difference, at least not for my image.

To check if that is a reasonably small file size, I tried to open the file
in Gimp and in XnView and simply save a PNG copy of the image using Save As.
In both cases the new files were smaller, namely 81kB and 89kB respectively,
i.e. approximately 2/3 of the original file size. For my particular
application a file size of 80 kB is acceptable, even though my hope has been
to reach 50kB.

Am I using options correctly? Is this what should be expected?

FYI: I do have the ZLIB compression library installed. However, I did not
install everything myself, so I am not sure if  ZLIB was installed before
PIL or after. I guess that it was installed in the correct order, since PIL
allows me to produce PNGs. I base that guess on "To enable PNG support, you
need to build and install the ZLIB compression library before building the
Python Imaging Library" from the Handbook, but perhaps that only refers to
the optimize option.

Regards
/Mikael Olofsson
Universitetslektor (Associate professor)
Linköpings universitet

E-Mail:  mikael at isy.liu.se
WWW:     http://www.dtr.isy.liu.se/en/staff/mikael
Phone:   +46 - (0)13 - 28 1343